Search This Blog

Saturday 5 September 2009

Wrottesley Road Traffic Lights

The new traffic lights on Wrottesley Road is a subject I have been meaning to blog about for ages. Originally, I was approached by parents who live in Kensal Green but take their children to Kenmont Primary School in College Park. They felt (I think rightly) that the junction of Wrottesley Road and Harrow Road was unsafe.

In London, new road safety schemes are usually paid for by Transport for London (TfL), although Boroughs like Brent put in bids for the money. I was therefore really pleased to find this junction had been earmarked for a scheme in FY 2007/8. Come the nd of the financial year, it was suddenly mysteriously cancelled. I organised a petition, which some Kensal Green residents, may recall me writing to them about. Armed with the new petition, I presented it at the Council and was pleased (and a little relieved) to find the scheme installed.

Since then, I have been contacted again that the new lights don't work as well as they should. One resident on Brunel Close says they slow down the traffic (which is partly true, but that is part of the trade off for making it safer for pedestrians). I have also heard reports about illegall turns. On the other hand, I have been told by others (for example when I last visited WISCO at St Mark's Church) that the new lights are a good idea.

What do people think?

No comments:

Post a Comment