Search This Blog

Saturday 16 November 2013

Implications of the Ouseley Judgement

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that the Brent Libraries judgement seemed to say that electronically distributed materials formed part of the statutory comprehensive and efficient library service.  This was picked up by Public Libraries News, but the implications aren't really clear.

I should point out that my interpretation does not seem to be widely shared, but, assuming I am right that implies:

A) Charging for ebook lending, as say Nottinghamshire does, may be illegal.
B) Charging for PC access, as I believe some libraries do, may also be illegal.
C) The long standing practice of many libraries in charging for DVDs may also be illegal if these fit in the section 7 definition.
D) The number and quality of IT points is a relevant consideration in determining whether or not a library authority is meeting its statutory duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment