Search This Blog

Monday 13 June 2016

Brent and School Academies

The Guardian recently published a letter on academies with a lot of signatures, many of them from Brent.  Two things puzzle me about this. 

The first is what exactly is Brent Council policy?  The Labour Group voted only to support academies if they met certain conditions.  This was passed some years ago, and to the best of my knowledge has never been rescinded.  However, as I have previously observed, the Council does not appear to be following this policy.  I have heard a number of people in Brent Labour Party, and Brent Labour councillors, express opposition to academies, but this never seems to translate into action.  Why is this?

The second point is that I find it noteworthy that Cllr Muhammed Butt has not signed the letter, althoiugh the current Deputy Leader and the previous Deputy Leader have.  Is Cllr Butt a secret academies supporter?

No comments:

Post a Comment