Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 July 2014

More on Waste and Recycling

The Executive meeting on 21 July has the recycling proposals I referred to previously.  I am not sure it entirely answers the questions I asked before.  This is in fact just the kind of issue where a pre meeting of a scrutiny committee might have been useful.  While I know that the recycling officers at Brent have great expertise, their estimates and opinions should not simply be taken on trust.

With regard to green waste, for example, we are told that 35% of green waste will "not be produced," not counting the 43% diverted to home composting.  I don't see the mechanism for such a large reduction.  A key driver for garden waste is simply weather and season, so I don't see how it can be predicted.

I also doubt that flytipping will be reduced, as much of this is bulky items not covered by the normal blue top bin collection.

The report does not address my suggestion of separate glass collections to offset the higher carbon emissions, or explain the rationale in diverting dry recycling when the landfill bins can be expected to contain only a limited proportion.  Nor does it address potential problems for the West London Waste Authority


No comments:

Post a Comment