Search This Blog

Sunday 6 July 2014

The Process of Recycling Changes in Brent

Having done a few posts on the substance of the proposed changes to Brent's waste collections in the past few days, I thought I would now comment on the process.

First off I notice that the Kilburn Times article I have linked to above contains extensive quotes from an officer, but not from the Lead Member.  I think that really isn't fair on the officer, who is required to be non party political.  I think some of his statements could easily be seen as contentious, and this is an area that is routinely part of party political debate.  One only had to look at the literature produced by all parties in the recent elections to notice that.

Secondly, I think that Lead Members should be able to explain the rationale of their decisions and answers questions on them.  That is essential to accountability.  It also helps you to understand your portfolio.  For instance when I introduced the recycling changes in 2010 and 2011 I presented them at the Executive, and at Scrutiny Committees.  I toured the Area Forums speaking to the public (although I must admit I think I was the first Brent Executive member to do that), and I responded in various other contexts such as this blog and talking to the media.  That helped me to get a thorough understanding of the subject, and I think it would help current members of the Brent Executive if they adopted a similar approach.  It might also improve the policy and add to the public's acceptance of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment