Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 March 2013

The Dilemma of Personal Nastiness

The Guardian has a piece on personal nastiness in Internet comments.  It suggests that the level of invective can skew reaction to the entire article.  I have certainly noticed that sometimes comments on a blog can be separated from the actual content altogether.  I have read comments on Guardian articles for example that do not seem to have read the piece they comment on.  They can even take the article to have said the opposite of what it actually says.

The question is: what can be done about that?

I am confronted by these issues in a small way, when people make nasty comments on this blog.  I won't publish anything I think is a libel or personally offensive, but I do publish comments I disagree with.  This is despite the fact that many commentators are not willing to sign their names.

Should I revise this policy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No.

Post a Comment