Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Brent Friends of the Earth

I am going to Brent Friends of the Earth this evening, which is in the Labour office at 375 Willesden High Road. I am not sure what is on the agenda, but possibly the waste management proposals may figure.

I think it is fair to say that Labour is the only party to commit to really increasing Brent's recycling rate. At the last Council meeting, the Tories explicitly moved that we not introduce alternate weekly collections, which is really the cornerstone of the policy and the main mechanism for increased recycling across all the UK's best recycling authorities. Brent Liberal Democrats sat on their hands. I am sure that many of the Liberal Democrats claim to sympathise with the green agenda, but if they are not prepared to vote for it ,what is their sympathy worth?

Personally I would have more respect with outright opposition like the Tories, than the Lib Dems' rather cowardly hypocrisy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Labour are doing so much then why then scrap the Green Zones scheme and 2 council posts in environment?

Anonymous said...

Tangentially, I have no idea how the change in policy regarding the revised household rubbish collections will work out, but I was pleased to see some things remain extremely efficient. I reported a case of fly tipping last night on the Brent web page after passing a huge mountain of dumped rubbish halfway up the top end of Furness Road last night (a few doors down from my home) and there for at least three days. The council promises to remove within 24 hours. They did, it was gone when I got home from work this evening. Sadly, I fear these services cold fall by the wayside...
Michael Sones, Furness Road

Anonymous said...

This service has always been good in the last few years since Veolia took over the Brent Contract - so it has nothing to do with the new Labour council.

Post a Comment